2016 Home Depot Grant Now Open for VFW Posts


VFW members can receive up to $5,000 to fix up their Post building! Although of course there are no guarantees (so please be mindful of that) I encourage all Posts to apply ASAP if you desire to remodel your building.

To begin the process, click on the following link:


YOU WILL COMPLETE THIS APPLICATION DIRECTLY VIA THE INTERNET ONLY (NO telephone calls to Home Depot, emails or written submissions will be accepted nor will you be able to turn this application in at your local Home Depot store).

PLEASE OPEN AND CAREFULLY READ THE PDF AS IT WILL WALK YOU STEP-BY-STEP THROUGH THE PROCESS. CLICK HERE  We have tried to make the instructions as simple as possible using actual computer screen shots. Any deviation from this guide will most likely result in not being able to submit the application.

ALSO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE TAX ID INSTRUCTIONS SECTION. You will use the Employee Identification Number (EIN) of your Post and upload the Post’s 501(c)(19) IRS determination letter at the end of the application. If you cannot locate the Post’s 501(c)(19) letter — follow the instructions below entitled “Lost IRS Determination Letter” on how to request a duplicate copy from the IRS.

It is our understanding that The Home Depot will also accept the first page of the Post’s most recently filed IRS Form 990 tax document in lieu of the (c)(19). With that said, it is still a good idea to request the (c)(19) as you want this document for your Post, yet with the other alternative of the 990 you can go ahead and file the application immediately.

If you receive funding it will come in the form of Home Depot gift cards that can be used to buy materials at your local Home Depot store. You will need to recruit Post members or other community volunteers to do the work. The project must be completed within 6 months. You will also be required to submit a final report. You should also be willing to include stories and before-and-after photos of the project. Failure to do so will negatively impact your Post’s ability to receive any future funding from The Home Depot.

After submission of the application, you should receive an email response usually in six weeks letting you know if you received the grant.

Post IRS Determination Letter?

A VFW member called saying he could not find his Post’s 501(c)(19) IRS determination letter. Not something you want to misplace, though this of course is understandable considering that the typical VFW Post has probably gone through numerous changes of leaders over the years and paperwork (even important documents) often gets lost or misfiled. The question then becomes: “How does the Post replace this document?”

Call the IRS Customer Service for nonprofit organizations at 1-877-829-5500. The best time to call them is early morning (they are on Eastern Time). Later in the day, they may be busy and unable to take your call.

If that doesn’t work, you will need to request a copy in writing with a completed Form 4506-A, “Request for Public Inspection or Copy of Exempt or Political Organization IRS Form,” which can be downloaded at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506a.pdf.

The request can be faxed to the IRS at 513-263-4330 or 513-263-3434 or your request can be mailed to IRS, Room 4024, POB 2508, Cincinnati, OH 45201. Keep in mind that it may take up to 60 days (or more) to fill your request.

Should you have any questions and or concerns, please contact Jason Couch, VFW Foundation Grants Coordinator, directly at (816) 968-1174 or jcouch@vfw.org